Archive for March, 2014

« Previous Page

Instrument panel 2.

March 10th, 2014

I cut holes for all the gauges in the instrument and also cut the hole for the glove box and folded the edges for that in. The glove box is made to Austin pattern. The top and side edges have tabs which get spot welded to the inside of the actual box. The bottom edge […]

Floors in.

March 5th, 2014

Today I put the floors and painted transmission tunnel in place. I did have to re-drill the holes in the frame and tunnel so everything would fit. It did all fit previously but was very fiddly to get right. I think when I added in the T-nuts some positions changed slightly. Oversized holes (which seems […]

Instrument panel.

March 4th, 2014

Yesterday I welded up the cracks in the corners of the skin. They happen due to the sides flapping about so I also bolted on a ┬ápiece of timber temporarily to stop that happening. I need to do a little more hammering on the sides. The flat welds are much harder to get smooth than […]

Painting and steering column bracket.

March 2nd, 2014

Today I painted the transmission tunnel. I hung it up outside under a tree and sprayed it. That’s now hanging in the tin garage to dry. I also made a new bracket to attach the steering column to the frame. It now doubles as the panel the starter is attached to. I took apart the […]

Torque tube hole cover.

March 1st, 2014

Today I spent all day doing one small piece of metalwork. I made a cover for the hole in the transmission tunnel that allows access to grease the torque tube mounting. A real Austin one looks like this: I don’t have a real Austin one so I needed to make one. It didn’t need to […]

« Previous Page