Regulator.

June 27th, 2014

Yesterday I spent the afternoon building my regulator. I am using the ‘Regulator 7’ design of Dr Hugo’s site. I was talking to him and he suggested some modifications for use in an A7. I am using a MBR3060 Schottky diode as the main diode (which replaces the cut-out), a 47R 5 watt base resistor, a 10SQ050 instead of a 1N5822 and a 6A10 as the snubber diode. It’s all built into the RB106 housing. It’s not the prettiest thing I have ever made but I made this to be strong.

IMG_2080_1 IMG_2081_1

IMG_2082_1 IMG_2083_1

It’s not finished yet as the snubber diode hasn’t arrived. Once it does I can finish it off by soldering that in place across the field windings. I was wondering where I was going to put the fuse but then I remembered I have a proper Austin 7 fuse holder so that can be separate. If it works I’ll draw out the circuit and post it here.

IMG_2085_1

The inside isn’t pretty but with the lid on it looks fine.

Today my parts from the spares department arrived. A new head gasket, flywheel puller and dynamo bits. Am a bit confused about the dynamo end bush. The one I pulled out seems to be plain bronze. The replacement is steel with a hole and oil grooves.

IMG_2077_1 IMG_2078_1 IMG_2079_1

This fits at the commutator end of the dynamo. The housing has a hole and a small cap covering an oilway so I imagine the steel one with the hole is correct. I’ve asked on the A7 friends site, someone on there will know (and 27 others will have an opinion) I am sure.

Joss came over and was working on his chassis. We’ll be ready to weld in the boxing soon. Ian provided a picture of how to do the nose piece which we’ll follow. While Joss worked on his chassis I repaired my lathe. The new gear went in easily. I also fixed a long term problem I had on it. On high speed it used to hunt, that is the motor seemed to be pulsing. I never did work out why. It did it again today after I reassembled everything so I looked online and found out the reason is to do with the controller board. This YouTube film shows the exact problem and the comments have the solution. A tweak of one of the pots on the controller fixed the problem.

So I have a working lathe again! With that going I can change the dynamo to 2 brush (once I know about the bush) and hopefully can spin it up to see if it works. Then, once I finish it, I can test the regulator.

The other small thing I did today was drill the rivets to remove the old clutch linings from the flywheel. I need to look at repairing the plate that holds the toggles next. I will repair that with grub screws probably. Once done I will have the whole lot balanced. Balancing my MG engine made a big difference to how smoothly it runs.

 

Leave a Reply