Update.

August 27th, 2014

Haven’t posted in a while since not much is happening on the car and I have to go to work again these days! But a few small things have happened. First I welded up the redrilled the holes in the valances. They now fit better. Not perfect but the rubber strip takes care of that.

IMG_2440_1 IMG_2438_1

I’ve also been trying to get the materials I need to do the block mounting mod where you use two long studs right through the crankcase attached to a hefty aluminium bar across the bottom where the oil strainer gauze bolts on. I got the aluminium from RS no problem. It’s a 1 inch by 1 inch by 24 inch bar. More than I need but I need some ali for other things.

The long studs are proving a real problem. The issue is you can’t get EN16T (or 4140) high tensile steel in 1/4 or 5/16ths of an inch anywhere in NZ that I have found. No one brings it in!  I’ve tried steel importers, engine rebuilders and nut and bolt type people. No one has it. I think for the long studs I will just get some 8mm and turn the ends down. Or else use two brake pedal rods, which should be HT steel.

I’ll also need some socket head screws to attach the aluminium bar inside the bottom of the crankcase. I can’t remember if they are 1/4 BSF or BSW. Either way they’ll be hard to find here I imagine so I will get them overseas too. I did find these clowns called Steelmasters. They aren’t worth linking to (except to show why I call them clowns in a second) who say on the first page of their web site they make fasteners and provide steel. So I emailed them only to be told they don’t sell steel. I replied to point out their web site was wrong but got no reply. Probably wise though when they sell things like this: http://www.steelmasters.co.nz/1-4-x-1-bsf-socket-capscrews/afa.asp?idWebPage=41063&CATID=&ID=113436&SID=674455503

It’s a 1/4 by 1 inch BSF socket head screw. For $NZD28! For you UK guys that 14 quid. Each!

So if you’re in NZ and looking for nuts and bolts and things avoid Steelmasters!

So, I need to do an order to the UK for some parts very soon. I did receive some though recently.

IMG_2474_1 IMG_2475_1

The first is my fancy Grasshopper style blower drive from Dave Dye. It’s a lovely piece of work and is the correct thing for making a proper Grasshopper style engine. The drive is a V belt that matches the one on my blower already. The ratio is correct for 5-6PSI of boost, right what I was aiming for, and it has mounting points for a plate to hold the blower. Tensioning is done (on the proper side) via the fan pulley.

I also finally received my SU carb rebuild kit and new spring and jets from Burlen in the UK. It took so long they’d actually refunded my payment so I had to pay them again. Now I can rebuild the carb properly though. New spindle, bushes, throttle disc and so on and so on.

As well as working I’ve been distracted by model railway dining  tables and other things (mainly work). I am visiting London for Christmas and New Years this year so if anyone knows of any interesting Austin 7 or old car things around there and then let me know. I definitely want to go see Brooklands as the only bit I have seen is a small chunk sitting on Joss’ mantlepiece! Funnily enough I was born less than 20 miles from there.

Brooklands, not Joss’ mantlepiece.

I also got this small device:

IMG_2472_1

It’s a little sonar sensor. Way back in June you might remember I posted about the railway crossing light I restored and stuck on the wall of my garage.

IMG_1866_1

I am going to make a little parking sensor with it and an Arduino. It will detect when a car is approaching the wall of the garage and either flash or come on when you drive the car in and are at the right point to stop. Seems like a worthy use of it.

I also stuck on the cardboard bonnet again to get some idea of the lines of the car.

IMG_2443_1

So, I need to get moving again. I think I should maybe sort out the clutch/flywheel so I can then get the rotating bits balanced while I work on the crankcase.

One Response to “Update.”

  1. Renaud in Brittany Says:

    Hi Simon,
    About “It’s a little sonar sensor”. In the middle of the 80’s I was designing, for the company with which I was employed, industrial robots. I discoved those ultrasonic transducers made by Murata. It gave me the idea of using them to build a sort of “vision” system to my robots. It worked fine avoiding collisions with people or stray objects.

Leave a Reply