Rust removing update.

February 12th, 2017

Last weekend and this I did a small amount on cars. Work is picking up again now so I am busy there again (for a few weeks at least).

I painted some more Austin parts. Just a light coat to keep the rust at bay. I went ahead and painted the flywheel and clutch parts figuring it can’t hurt.


This weekend I pulled things out of the molasses tank to see how they were going. The clutch driven plate came out great. A quick wire brush and a wash and it looks very good.

IMG_0655_1 IMG_0656_1 IMG_0657_1

I need to order the clutch friction material from the spares then I can assemble that and get everything balanced.

I also pulled out the Riley drums. They will need a lot longer but it helps to pull things out and give them a scrum now and then. I did notice that one of the drums is different to the others.

IMG_0666_1 IMG_0667_1 IMG_0668_1

The first picture shows what they look like straight out of the tank, the second is after water blasting the muck off. The outsides are still covered in paint on some drums but I can sandblast that off. The molasses won’t affect paint.

The middle brake bracket is getting there too. I also just noticed that this one has been modified. The extra bracket bolted on the end.

IMG_0663_1 IMG_0670_1

It will need quite a bit longer to get all the rust off.

I also took apart the hub retaining plates. An impact driver makes jobs like this much easier. A few screws were already missing with the heads sheared off and the threads remaining in the metal but I managed to get them out without shearing any more. I drilled and punched out the sheared ones. I need to find the right tap to tidy up the threads. I think it is BSW and I don’t have one small enough. One screw was missing it’s slot but that was easy to drill out.

IMG_0652_1 IMG_0653_1 IMG_0661_1

The piece that does the sealing seems to be leather. I will take the bent plates into work and see if I can straighten them on the press there. I cleaned them up with a file to remove some of the marks made in the past with a chisel or screwdriver!

Leave a Reply