More on the rear axle.

October 7th, 2012

During the week I made a list and ordered some of the parts and bearings I need for the rebuilding the rear axle. I haven’t actually heard back from the supplier yet (who isn’t Tony Betts of 7 county Austins of course since you should avoid buying Austin 7 parts from him – go Google!) but it’s only been a few days so I am not so worried. I will get some of the other parts from the VAR spare people too. About $300 worth so far but a rear axle is something you should only need to do once then forget about.

I started cleaning up the rear hubs and drums I have too with the wire brush. The backplates are both fine but in one of the drums I found a small crack. I tapped it with a ball pein hammer and a chunk fell off! So I will need to find a new drum somewhere. I should actually measure the good one I have to make sure it isn’t too thin. Not sure what the minimum size is actually but shouldn’t be hard to find out.

IMG_2921_1 Cracked drum.

I sprayed the backplates with black enamel as usual.

IMG_2911_1 Backplates.

I cleaned up one stud plate which is usable but all the others I have are pretty battered with wobbly studs so I should try to find another good one of those too. I still need to work on the frame but I had no time this weekend to do it. I did the wire brushing today since I can work on the frame in the evenings as it doesn’t make so much noise!

2 Responses to “More on the rear axle.”

  1. Asciimation » Blog Archives » All kinds of projects this weekend. Says:

    […] also worked on the car but that’s in the other blog. Posted in Uncategorized | Trackback | | Top Of […]

  2. Hank Says:

    Just wanted to say “Thank You!” For a couple of years I have been looking all over the net for info about bodying, or re-bodying vintage cars, and this is BY FAR the best illustrated, step by step example available that I have found. I will be pouring over this site for the next few weeks, and anxiously await your progress reports.
    Nice work.

Leave a Reply