Stripping block.

September 16th, 2013

This evening after work I finished stripping the block. To remove the tappet guides I cobbled together a puller from a bolt and a section of square steel tube and a piece of strap. I filed the corners off a nut so it was smaller in diameter than the tappet guide. As the two sets of valves are so close together the tappet guides are in pairs so getting a round spacer over them was tricky hence using the square tube which worked well.

IMG_4181_1 IMG_4183_1 IMG_4184_1

Tappet guide puller.

I used two spanners and held the nut on the inside of the block and tightened the outer spanner to draw the guides out.

To remove the valve guides I machined up a piece of steel shaft into a punch such that the end would fit into the valve guide and a step would push down on it. I then simply tapped them out using a heavy hammer. The block I have is an early one apparently so it has screw in water jacket plugs and stepped valve guides.

IMG_4186_1 IMG_4187_1 Valve guide punch.

With those removed I then put the block into a bucket to electrolytically remove the rust (I described it way back here: http://www.asciimation.co.nz/austin7/?p=96) . I haven’t removed the two stuck studs yet or the screw in end caps or brass plugs. I will let it sit in the bucket for a while and hopefully that will help make them easier to remove.

IMG_4189_1 Electrolytic rust removing.

I looked today what pistons are available. +60 thou are a standard oversize but you can also get some nice sports pistons that are +64 thou. I think I will go for them and have the block machined out the little extra. Then I will know the bores are good (although they feel fine now).

One amusing, non Austin, side note. They finally replaced the street sign near me that got knocked down sometime ages ago. Only they made a mistake with the “Methuen Road” part!

20130916_155327

An update on the sign. I thought I better ring the council to tell them but I wasn’t sure if they are responsible for these signs or not. Turns out it’s not the council themselves. With a f-up like this I should have guessed whose responsibility it was: Auckland Transport!

Those clowns don’t get ANYTHING right. They are the ones responsible for the totally messed up roll-out of the AT Hop card. Auckland is finally moving to integrated ticketing with a new smart card. They very cleverly called the card a HOP card. Unfortunately the old system is also called a HOP card. So we now have two, totally incompatible HOP cards each with their own web sites. The old card works on some buses while the new card works on trains and some other buses. Whoever decided that was a good idea is an idiot.

And to make it worse the roll-out, which keeps getting delayed by ‘technical errors’, is staggered in a stupid way. Since the bus routes are all serviced by different companies it turns out there are some buses on my route that will accept the new cards and some that won’t. So my monthly pass will work on some 197 route buses but not other 197 route buses depending on what ‘brand’ of bus it is. If the wrong kind of bus comes along I have to pay a cash fare. And they way they are doing the roll-out means this situation will last till November (assuming no more delays) as these two brands of bus are at opposite ends of the roll-out.

These guys are so bad at everything they were even handing out these new little cards on the buses a few weeks ago:

20130918_081825

Auckland Transport incompetence business cards!

Oh, another thing. If you do use an AT Hop and use automatic top ups with a credit card be aware that when your card expires the next automatic top up will fail if you don’t update your details. When that happens your AT Hop card gets permanently (it seems) blocked and they’ll make you buy another one. Personally, with people who can’t spell street names correctly and who actually produce and hand out cards in order to explain their incompetence, I wouldn’t trust them with any of my banking details!

Leave a Reply