Further dismantling.

August 2nd, 2011

After my day at Hampton Downs I was keen to do more on the car so I continued stripping things off the chassis. First the steering rod that had me so confused before. Talking to people at the track I learned how it works. You don’t undo the joint from the arm. You remove the rod instead.

IMG_0399_2 IMG_0400_1 Steering rod.

The rod is held on by caps that contain springs and little mounting blocks that push against the ball in the steering arms. A spring holds the tension on things. There seem to be some shims and a little thrust button thing. I am not sure what order they are supposed to go as mine had one end assembled one way around and the other end in assembled differently as you can see in the picture above.

With that off I was able to unbolt the steering box. One of the bolts holding this on is also the pivot shaft for the brake pedal. On mine the thread for the nut holding the pedal on is a bit damaged. Also, since everything was loose, the other bolt holding the box in place was quite worn where it’s been running on the chassis.  The holes in the chassis are also quite worn out and these will probably need welding up and redrilling.

IMG_0407_1 IMG_0408_1 IMG_0415_1

Worn parts.

I also removed what seems to be the brake light switch which is nothing more than a housing with some brass pins and a brass contact moved by a spring attached to the brake pedal linkage. Everything is so mechanical. It’s great! Right up my idiom.

IMG_0401_1 IMG_0403_1 Brake light switch.

In preparation of removing the rear axle I also removed the rear shocks. Like the front shock this is just a friction unit  using wooden discs clamped between two bits of steel. Makes the MGB suspension seem positively modern!

IMG_0409_1 IMG_0411_1 Rear damper.

So this is how the chassis looks now. Slightly more stripped than before.  So far, apart from the rear extensions which seems to have suffered from gas welding heat on the body I removed, the only rust has been some pitting near one of the body mounting points.Well, no actual rust, just evidence of pitting in the past. I believe the original saloon bodies were attached to the body with felt pads in between them. These were ideal for collecting moisture and causing rust.

IMG_0413_1 IMG_0418_1 Pitting on chassis.

Oh, I also worked out why I was finding it so hard to take things apart. None of my spanners seemed to fit and at first I thought it was because of the thick layer of paint on everything and the damaged nuts. It suddenly occurred to me all the nuts and bolts on this thing are Whitworth! A totally different sized set of spanners required.  A trip to the second hand tool barn is in order this weekend to see what I can find.

Leave a Reply