Archive for November, 2010

A steampunk record player.

November 30th, 2010

I finally finished off the last few details on the steam powered record player and gave it the first full test on live steam! The engine and base and other hardware are complete but the software could use some work. It does however run. Finished steam punk record player. Before I bore people with details […]

More on the steampunk-o-phone.

November 20th, 2010

I need to come up with a better name for this thing. Anyway, progress is being made. As mentioned I had made up a little mount for the detection coil. This is just some scraps of brass I had in the junk box so I made a little stand with a sliding top held with […]

Parasitic bike pump experiment

November 14th, 2010

I took a break from steam powered record players and railway model dining tables and talking John Steed Thunderbird puppets for a bit to play with something I saw on the Make magazine blog. This is an emergency parasitic bike pump which is basically an air hose that lets you inflate a presumably flat bike […]

Tone arms, cones and re-plinthing.

November 13th, 2010

Work continues on the steam gramophone record player thing. It takes a while since 1, I have never made one before and 2, I am totally making it all up on the fly as I go along. I started trying to work out how to do they tone arm and audio pickup. My first idea […]