Archive for August, 2015

Next Page »

Turing-Welchman Bombe physical build – part 8.

August 19th, 2015

Well, a bit of a setback today. I replaced my main board with a new one that is using latches so the second and third drums hold their position much better between steps. That worked great. Except then when running through a Bombe run nothing would work properly! For some reason the motion of the drums was […]

Turing-Welchman Bombe physical build – part 7.

August 16th, 2015

This is turning into one of those projects. The never ending kind! Lets see, things were going well. During the week I painted the switch housing with crackle black. Being winter, even with a sunny day, it wasn’t warm enough to get the paint to ‘go off’ so I cheated and used a hot air […]

Turing-Welchman Bombe physical build – part 6.

August 11th, 2015

Right, pressing on here since I have cars I should be building so need this thing done! The other night I started making the covers. Well, the top and bottom ones. I will need to get more steel for the sides and back. On the top of the housing I brazed on a metal strap […]

Turing-Welchman Bombe physical build – part 5.

August 9th, 2015

Right, this weekend I had so much to do. Clean the house, cut and stack firewood, work on the car. I did none of that. I worked on this thing instead! Earlier in the week I painted the three drums. Three coats of gold then three of clear over that. They came out great! I also […]

Turing-Welchman Bombe physical build – part 4.

August 6th, 2015

Tonight I machined up the drum hub shafts from some brass rod. These are very simple. A beveled end and a groove for the rabbit clips to slip into on one end and a hole bored in the other that slides over the stepper motor shafts. The rod is a tight press fit into the […]

Next Page »